- 2 medium potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock (about 2 ounces)
- 2 cups water (about 3/4 ounce)
- 1/4 cups cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/ teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 green onions, chopped (green part only)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake the potatoes or 1 hour or until done. When potatoes have cooked remove them from the oven to cool.
- As potatoes cool prepare soup by melting butter in a large saucepan, and sauté onion until light brown. Add the flour to the onions and stir to make a roux.
- Add stock, water, cornstarch, mashed potatoes, and spices to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out contents with a large spoon. Discard skin. Chop baked potato with a large knife to make chunks that are about 1/2-inch in size.
- Add chopped baked potato and half-and-half to the saucepan, bring soup back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer the soup for another 15 minutes or until it is thick.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 cups of soup into a bowl and top with about a tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese, a half tablespoon of crumbled bacon and a teaspoon or so of chopped green onion.
- Repeat for remaining servings.