- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tablespoon melted shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, cooled
- 3-3½ cups flour
- Beat eggs; add sugar, shortening and vanilla.
- Add mashed potatoes and milk and beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir in additional flour to reach batter consistency.
- Chill the dough for several hours or overnight.
- Take a portion of the dough and rough out to about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thickness, using flour as needed to prevent your rolling pin picking up dough.
- Use a donut cutter and cut out your donuts.
- Preheat oil in deep fryer to 375F (use a thermometer if you’re using a fry daddy!).
- Fry 3−4 donuts at a time −− turning when they are a nice golden brown.
- Drain on brown paper bags to remove excess grease.
Note: (this is “by look and feel”−− It should still be somewhat sticky…it will pick up more flour when you roll out the dough on a floured surface)