- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced leeks
- 1/4 tsp. chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1 cup clams in juice
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, leeks and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes mixing often.
- Remove from heat and add flour, mixing well.
- Add milk and whisk vigorously.
- Drain clams and add juice to soup.
- Slowly bring to a boil, mixing often. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and seasonings, simmer 10 minutes.
- Add clams and simmer 5 − 8 minutes.
- Finish with heavy cream. Serve.