- 1 1/2 cup chopped Roma plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons diced red onions
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash of freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 loaf French baguette or crusty Italian bread
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 or 3 sprigs of Coriander/cilantro
- Combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic and basil in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for one hour.
- When ready to serve, preheat broiler and slice the baguette in 1-inch slices on a 45 degree angle to make 5 to 7 slices of bread.
- Combine remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil with the garlic salt.
- Brush entire surface of both sides of each slice with olive oil mixture.
- Broil slices for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side, until surface starts to brown.
- Arrange bread like wheel spokes on serving plate. Spoon the chilled tomato neatly on to the bread slices where they meet at the center of the plate.
- Garnish with the cilantro (coriander).